Friday, April 19, 2013

Featured Début Novelist: Ian Acheson


Picture
Ian Acheson is the Australian author of the Chronicles of the Angelguard, published by Lion Hudson.

Ian reads a lot, mainly spiritual development books, and a lot of Christian fiction. He finds that great stories transport readers to another place. He's also been telling and writing stories for most of his  life since he was a kid.

Ian is a professional strategy consultant having been in the Corporate world for the past 25 years. He brings some of this experience into his stories.

Ian has lived in Sydney, Australia, all his life. He shares his home there with a most beautiful and gracious lady, his wife, Fiona, where they try to keep up with two almost-twenty something young men who give them much joy and you know what else if you’re a parent.


The following is an April 2013 interview with Ian.


Picture
Tell us a little about yourself.

Ellie, I’ve lived in Sydney, Australia for all of my life. I’m happily married to a wonderful lady, Fiona, and we have two young men as sons: Dan is 20 and Jake 17. I’ve worked in the Corporate world for the past 25 or so years and am now a strategy consultant.

Fiona is a Kiwi, so her family are all very passionate All Blacks supporters but Aussie cricket followers. However, the way the Aussies are going at present they may convert to following the Black Caps. I, however, am a committed Aussie supporter in all sports.


What inspired you to become a novelist, and did you always want to write?

I’ve been entranced by stories since I was very little boy after my eldest sister shared her version of the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to my two brothers and I. She was so good at it I genuinely believed there was some trapdoor at the back of her wardrobe to some wonderful new place.

I’ve been an avid reader all of my life and wrote stories as a kid. I stopped writing whilst chasing a Corporate dream. When the boys were young, I used to regale them with stories every night. We did this for years and this helped rekindle my passion for storytelling.  11 years ago I had one of those “God-moments” where He relit a fire in my heart to start writing again. So that was the start of my long journey to writing Angelguard. I share more about this journey on my blog over at ianacheson.com.


What do you think is significant about Christian fiction?

God’s in it.

We as authors don’t know how the Lord will use our stories to help reveal His story to readers. That’s pretty special.


How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write?

Positively?

Ellie, we sometimes forget, as Christians we are in need of grace everyday. I hope my stories will help readers reflect even a smidgen on their walk with the Lord.

Also, readers will enjoy it so they’ll suggest it to a friend.

Picture
What has been the most surprising aspect to becoming a published novelist? 

How life hasn’t fundamentally changed.

But I would say I’ve been amazed how much time and effort is required in marketing your work. I wish I’d started sowing the seed 2 years earlier.


How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ? 

What became clear to me quite late in the piece was that Angelguard is God’s story and He asked me to write it.  Why? I’m not exactly sure but as you’ll see on my blog, Angelguard took 10+ years to evolve. The evolution of Angelguard mirrored my return to a deeper relationship with the Lord. For that, I’m forever grateful I’ve had the opportunity to write Angelguard.


Other than being a novelist, what other goals do you have for your life?

To experience God as much as I can each day; be a better husband, dad, friend and colleague each day.

And see my beloved Liverpool (English soccer team) play at Anfield.

Read as much as possible until I can no longer.


What do you like to do in your spare time?

I read. A lot and a lot more. Fiction, Christian spiritual development books as I dub them, and a bunch of online & paper magazines (business, writing, faith)

You’ve probably gathered I love sport. Don’t play too much now, but watch and analyse soccer and cricket, in particular.

Fiona is a busy executive, so we enjoy hanging out together in our downtime. She’s a great cook so eating features prominently as do movies and playing with our gorgeous 18-week old puppy, Beanie.


What can you tell us about your debut novel?

Angelguard reveals the timeless supernatural war that continues unabated and how it interconnects with our physical world. In bringing the warring angels and demons to the forefront of a rollicking tale that crosses the globe, I wanted to highlight the ferocity of this conflict. The physical story focuses on three survivors of separate acts of terrorism that occur within weeks of each other. 

Within a period of weeks, three horrific bomb blasts devastate areas of London, Los Angeles and Sydney. No explanation is offered, no victory claimed for these acts of terror. Yet behind the scenes a Machiavellian European businessman is planning to bring the G8 nations to their knees for his own larcenous purposes, aided by the dark forces to whom he has sold his soul. Jack Haines, an Australian academic, is grieving the loss of wife and children in the Sydney blast. Against his will he finds himself thrown into a war that transcends the physical world, a conflict in which angelic guards have a special mission for him. A gripping novel of the unseen forces that throng our world.
Angelguard (Chronicles of the Angelguard #1)
[Purchase: Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle | The Book Depository  | Soul Inspirationz}
Picture














What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead? 

I’m presently working on book 2 in the series. The series is The Chronicles of the Angelguard and book 2 is titled Wrestling with Shadows. In this novel I explore the battleground for where spiritual warfare is conducted: the human heart. Some of the key human and supernatural characters will return. But it will introduce a few new ones including a particularly well-connected couple who have revenge on their minds.

I also try to write blog posts twice a week. These posts usually reflect some spiritual insight and/or something to do with my life as an author. I’m new to blogging so these take me a reasonable about of time to produce as I seek to establish my blogging voice.


What would you like to say to your upcoming fans in New Zealand and around the world?

Thank you for spending a few hours of your precious time reading Angelguard.

I love to connect with readers so please write to me on any of the mediums listed at the end of this post. I’ll try to get back to you ASAP.


Do you have any parting words?

I’m honoured to be the inaugural “Featured Debut Novelist” on Soul Inspirationz. Thank you Ellie.

I hope we’ve established a good benchmark for the series.


You can keep in touch with Ian at:

Website: http://ianacheson.com/

Twitter: @achesonian

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ianachesonauthor


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts