Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Featured Author Interview: Kathleen Fuller


Picture
Kathleen Fuller is an American writer, specializing in Christian and Amish romantic fiction.

She is the author of several books, including the Amish series Hearts of Middlefield and the Middlefield Family series for Thomas Nelson Publishers, as well as the young adult series Mysteries of MiddlefieldShe is also included in two Amish anthologies for Thomas Nelson, An Amish Christmas and An Amish Gathering, and in the upcoming Barbour anthology A Pioneer Christmas Collection.

Kathleen was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas and currently resides in Geneva, Ohio with her husband, James Fuller, and three children.

The following is an April 2013 interview with Kathleen.

Picture
Hearts of Middlefield
Tell us a little about yourself. 

I’m a wife, a mother of three teens, a writer, a teacher, and a thyroid cancer survivor. I live in Geneva, OH, which is about an hour east of Cleveland. But I’m a southern girl at heart—born in New Orleans and raised in Arkansas.





How did you become a novelist, and did you always want to write? 
I never had an inclination to write until 2000. I had been reading a lot of Christian fiction at that time, and I thought I would try my hand at writing a short story. I also was seeking God’s direction on how I could serve Him. My first short story was published shortly after that and my first novella in 2003. I’ve been writing ever since. My becoming a writer is definitely a God-thing.

Picture
Treasuring Emma
What do you think is significant about Christian fiction? 

I think it meets a lot of needs. People are looking for a variety of stories—those that uplift, that examine faith and crises of faith, that provide encouragement, and more. Christian fiction fills those needs through the framework of great books.


How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write? 

I really want them to be entertained, to escape the world for a few hours and feel like that was time well spent. I also want them to be encouraged in their faith journeys.


What responses to your novels have affected you the most and why? 

I always enjoy when my readers contact me—I love interacting with fellow book lovers! So every response affects me, because I know how busy life is. For readers to take the time to contact me, whether through email or letter, and let me know they liked my books…that means a lot to me.

Picture
Faithful to Laura
How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ? 

A lot of my books reflect a personal struggle I’m going through, whether I recognize it or not. So through each story I work out a faith issue—or a faith issue is brought to my attention. I feel that through writing and reading other stories that my relationship with Christ is strengthened.


Other than writing great novels, what other goals do you have for your life? 
To live in the moment. As a cancer survivor, I’ve learned not to take things for granted. I also try to let worry go, whether its about my health or my future, or my children or husband or family…worry doesn’t add any time to our lives, and it has a negative impact. I’m not saying I’m worry-free; far from it. But that is a goal—to live life completely trusting God.




What do you like to do in your spare time? 

I love to swim, do crafts, and play games. I also like to travel.

Picture
Letters to Katie
What can you tell us about your latest novels? 

My latest book, Letters to Katie, is the third book in the Middlefield Family Series.

Letters to Katie continues the story of Sawyer and Laura (from Faithful to Laura) and also tells about the relationship of Katherine Yoder and Johnny Mullet, who were introduced in my YA series Mysteries of Middlefield


Will Johnny ever reciprocate Katherine’s love? Read and find out! ;) 

Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family #2)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Letters to Katie (Middlefield Family #3)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]



Picture
A Pioneer Christmas Collection
What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead?
In September 2013 I have a novella releasing in the historical anthology A Pioneer Christmas. I’m also working on two new Amish novellas for the anthologies An Amish Garden and a second Amish Christmas collection.


What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand, and others worldwide? 

First of all, THANK YOU! I appreciate your support and encouragement so much and I hope you have enjoyed my stories. Second, hopefully someday I’ll get to go on a World Tour (a girl can dream!) and meet all of you.


Do you have any parting words? 

I’m a big Pinterest fan, and I collect a lot of quotes and verses. Here’s one of my favorites: “Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.” I don’t know who said that, but it’s a good reminder of how crucial faith is.



Buy Kathleen's Books at The Book Depository

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts