Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Featured Author Interview: Creston Mapes

Picture Creston Mapes is the best-selling author of Nobody, Dark Star, Full Tilt,and his new thriller series, The Crittendon Files. His early years as a reporter inspire many of his novels.

A journalist, copywriter, and editor, Creston works from his home-office in Atlanta for some of the nation's top media companies, and nationally-recognized corporations, including Chick-fil-A, Coke, ABC-TV, and The Weather Channel. In addition to Creston's novels and freelance writing, he has ghostwritten and edited seven non-fiction titles. 


The following is a June 2013 interview with Creston.


 

Tell us a little about yourself. 

I have fond memories of my boyhood in Bath, Ohio, where I became enchanted with my future wife, Patty, way back in the fourth grade. My father, Bernie, owned and operated The Weathervane Furniture Shop in town. The whole family lived right upstairs in the century-old house known as "The Shop."

I studied magazine journalism at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, then began my writing career. During the past 30 years, I’ve worked as a reporter, corporate copywriter, creative director, freelance writer, and author.

My novels include Fear Has a Name, NobodyDark Star, and Full Tilt.

Today, I work from my home-office in Atlanta, writing novels and freelance copy for some of the nation’s top media companies, Christian ministries, and nationally-recognized corporations. I have co-written and edited seven non-fiction books.

My early years as a reporter inspire many of my novels.


How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write?

Great question and one I just answered yesterday over lunch, so it’s fresh on my mind. I want all readers to consider my novels a resource they can access that will take them away from the cares and realities of life and sweep them away in an all-out thrill ride.

I want them to be challenged and uplifted spiritually. And once they’ve enjoyed my books, I want them to pass them on to other fiction fans, especially those who may not be Christians. The books provide a great way for Christians to share their faith in a subtle way through a popular medium.


What responses to your novels have affected you the most and why?

My novels have been read and passed around a great deal in prisons and rehab centers, which makes me elated. I can’t think of more desperate places or people who need to see some love and light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, I receive a lot of notes from people who say my books have helped to rekindle their faith, or have lit a spark in them to pray for others and such. What more can you ask for? I’m thankful God has used the books in this way.


How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ?

God and I have been through some challenges together since I became a novelist. When you think He told you to write a novel, and you do, but it gets rejected dozens and dozens of times, you are flabbergasted. And then once you do get published, there are a whole new set of unthinkable challenges. It has tried and stretched my faith. Ultimately it has led me to realize that, if I am going to be one of the very elite Christian fiction authors, it is going to need to be all Him. He must increase, I must decrease.

Other than writing great novels, what other goals do you have for your life? 

To be a faithful husband and dependable father. I hope to press on to the end of this life, remaining true to those I’ve committed myself to. I want to be a joyful and wise role model for my wife and children. I also want to continue to be a good son and friend.


What do you like to do in your spare time? 

Read. Paint. Drink good coffee. Cook. Meet up with friends. Spend time with family. Go on dates with my wife. Participate in my kids’ activities (baseball, band, drama, etc.). Watch hockey and baseball.


What can you tell us about your latest novels?

Fear Has a Name is a thriller that follows journalist Jack Crittendon as he fights to protect his family from a stalker’s terrifying schemes, investigates a pastor’s mysterious disappearance, and struggles to keep his faith amidst unthinkable fear.

I’ve finished book two in the new Crittendon Files series—it is called Poison Town and will release in early 2014. Now I am halfway through writing book three in the series and it is currently called Sky Zone, to release in late 2014. I love this series, because it is about a newspaper reporter and his family, and there is danger around every turn. Fun stuff and, I hope, thought-provoking.


Picture
Fear Has a Name

How Far Would He Go To Keep Them Safe?

It was more than a break-in. More than a stalking. It was personal. When a stalker targets his family, journalist Jack Crittendon must uncover who the person is and what his motives are--if he is to protect the ones he loves. It will lead Crittendon into a world of behind-closed-door secrets and faith gone awry, as does his investigation of a missing pastor, whose apparent suicide is more than it appears.

Each move Crittendon makes weaves him tighter and tighter into a web of lies, greed, hypocrisy, sin, and danger. He believed he'd never give in to fear. But that was before. And holding on to his faith won't be easy. Nor will keeping his family safe, and ending the terror. Because that might require him to step over lines he never dared to cross.

Fans of Ted Dekker, Davis Bunn, Jerry Jenkins and Frank Peretti will love Creston's novels!

Picture
Newest Novels:


Fear Has a Name (The Crittendon Files #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]


Poison Town (The Crittendon Files #2)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]


Previous Novels:



Dark Star (Rock Star Chronicles #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Full Tilt (Rock Star Chronicles #2)

[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Nobody
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]


Picture
What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand, and others worldwide?

I love books with tension on every page and characters you love and hate. I love books that are contemporary and gritty and spellbinding. So, that’s the kind I write! I hope you’ll give them a try. I promise that once you do, you will be right back for more!


Buy Creston's Novels at The Book Depository

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Read Previous Featured Author Interviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts