Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Featured Author Interview: Wanda Brunstetter


Picture

Wanda Brunstetter is an award-winning romance novelist who has led millions of readers to lose their heart in the Amish life. 

She is the author of over 60 books with more than 6 million copies sold. Many of her books have landed on the top bestseller lists, including the New York TimesPublisher’s WeeklyCBAECPA, and CBD. Wanda is considered one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre, and her work has been covered by national publications, including Time Magazine and USA Today. Wanda’s books have been translated into four foreign languages.

Wanda writes about the Amish because they live a simple life, which she feels we all need in this day and age.

The following is a March 2013 interview with Wanda.




Picture
Daughters of Lancaster County

Tell us a little about yourself. 

My husband, Richard, and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. We have been blessed with two grown children and six grandchildren. In addition to my writing, I’m also a professional puppeteer and a ventriloquist, and often entertain children and adults with one of several ventriloquist figures.


How did you become a novelist, and did you always want to write? 

I began writing poems and stories when I was a child, and had my first fiction story published in a Sunday school take-home paper in 1980. In 1997, after taking a few writing courses, I had my first novel, A Merry Heart, published with Barbour Publishing’s bookclub, Heartsong Presents.

Picture
Sisters of Holmes County

What do you think is significant about Christian fiction? 

For me, the best part of writing Christian fiction is being able to share the love of God and scriptures from the Bible in my stories. It always blesses me when someone contacts me and says something they’ve read in one of my books has touched their life or helped them through a difficult time.


How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write? 

I hope they will not only enjoy a good story, but will find encouragement for their own lives by something they have read in one of my novels.

Picture
Indiana Cousins

 What responses to your novels have affected you the most and why? 
The ones that say their lives have been impacted by a verse of scripture or the storyline, always have an effect on me, because it confirms in my heart that I’m doing what God would have me to do.





How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ? 

Being able to witness to others through my stories has made me a stronger Christian, too. Sometimes, while writing certain passages in my books, God speaks to my heart as well.

Picture
Double Trouble

Other than writing great novels, what other goals do you have for your life?
It’s always been my goal to set a good example for my children and grandchildren. I want to be there for them when they have a need, and encouragement them to keep God at the center of their lives.


What do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy photography, gardening, bird-watching, beachcombing, visiting my Amish friends, and spending time with my family.

Picture
The Discovery

What can you tell us about your latest novels?

My latest series is called The Discovery, and it’s actually a 6-part mini-series, or serial novel. The books are set in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and center around a young married couple, Luke and Meredith Stoltzfus. After getting beat up in a Philadelphia bus station, Luke ends up with amnesia. Meredith, believing her husband is dead, determines in her heart that for the sake of her baby, she must go on, and perhaps remarry. 

Goodbye to Yesterday (The Discovery Series #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

The Silence of Winter (The Discovery Series #2)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Picture

The Hope of Spring (The Discovery Series #3)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

The Pieces of Summer (The Discovery Series #4)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com]

A Revelation in Autumn (The Discovery Series #5)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com]

A Vow for Always (The Discovery Series #6)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com]


What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead? 

I recently finished The Tattered Quilt, which is Book 2 in my Half-Stitched Quilting Club series.

I am currently working on another children’s book called Green Fever, which is Book 4 in my Double Trouble series for 8-12 year-olds. 

Following that, I’ll be writing an historical novel about a Quaker woman who goes west to minister to the Nez Perce Indians.  

Picture

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

The Tattered Quilt: Return of the Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com]



What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand, and others worldwide?
I appreciate all of my readers and hope they will enjoy reading my novels as much as I enjoy writing them.



Do you have any parting words?

My primary attraction to the Amish is their desire to live a devout Christian life that strives to honor God, work hard, and maintain close family ties. Whenever I visit any of my Amish friends, I find myself drawn to their peaceful lifestyle, sincerity, and close family ties, which is in stark contrast to the chaos and busyness that plagues so many modern “Englishers.” Time and time again, I lose my heart in the Amish life, and I hope my readers will, too.



Buy Wanda's Books from The Book Depository



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts