Friday, September 13, 2013

Featured Author Interview: Laura Frantz

Picture
Laura Frantz is a lover of history, is the author of The Frontiersman's DaughterCourting Morrow Little, and The Colonel's Lady, and currently lives in the misty woods of Washington with her husband and two sons.

Passionate about all things historical, she writes her manuscripts in longhand first. Her stories often incorporate Celtic themes. Her family lineage is Scottish, English, and Irish.

Laura Frantz credits her grandmother as being the catalyst for her fascination with Kentucky history. Frantz's family followed Daniel Boone into Kentucky in the late eighteenth century and settled in Madison County, where her family still resides.

The following is a September 2013 interview with Laura.

Picture
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY 
AT THE END OF THE INTERVIEW


Be in to win a copy of 
LOVE'S AWAKENING 
by Laura Frantz

One copy to be won
Contest open to entrants worldwide.

Contest runs from 13-26 September NZDT


Picture
Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born and raised in the southern U.S. – Kentucky – but currently I live way out west in Washington State in a little house in the misty woods with my real-life hero of 20 years, Randy, and our 2 sons, Wyatt (16) and Paul (14).


How did you become a novelist, and did you always want to write?
I wanted to write from the age of 7 when I penned my first story which was and always has been a historical. The journals I kept when I was a young girl say, “I want to be an author when I grow up.” I still have them in an old trunk and it’s interesting to read that wish many years later. Sometimes I think God instills in us our heart’s desire early on.


What do you think is significant about Christian fiction?

I think the written word is very powerful. Jesus often spoke in parables/stories that are with us today. Christian fiction is often a seeker’s or non-Christian’s introduction to a Christian worldview and is capable of inspiring hungry souls to dig deeper and meet the Savior or get to know Him better than they do. God is so creative in how He reaches us and I’m thankful He chooses books as one way to get His message across.

Picture
How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write?

My books have been described as vivid and intensely emotional. My goal is to make an emotional connection with readers and that may not always be positive! I tend to write out of the box as I don’t sugarcoat history which sometimes means readers are pulled away from predictability and comfort. My hope is that readers will experience the hope and love to be had in Christ through my characters and their lives, however hard or fraught with heartache.  I always promise a hopeful, happy ending.


What responses to your novels have affected you the most and why?
I love reader mail. It’s such a joy hearing from people who say they can’t explain how my novels have moved them but are somehow enriched because of the stories the Lord has given me to write.


How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ?

I am always very grateful for the gift of writing Christ gave me. It’s humbling to think He instilled a love of the written word in a little girl many years ago and brought that to fruition to benefit people even in a small way.  I always tell people I don’t know how to write a novel and I don’t. I never studied the craft of writing other than being a voracious reader as a child. I believe God gives the gift of writing and so it’s His blessing and is to be used for His purposes. My job is to work as hard as I can and leave the results to Him.

Picture
Other than writing great novels, what other goals do you have for your life?
My primary goal is to be a godly wife and mother and to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and spirit, all that is within me. As a writer, I’m always aspiring to write a great novel but never feel I come close to that.


What do you like to do in your spare time?

Travel, garden, walk, Bible study, cross-stitch and knit, write letters (real letters with pen and paper), cook, pray, dream. Eat chocolate!


What can you tell us about your latest novels?

The Ballantyne Legacy series is my first series after 3 standalone novels set in Kentucky. The Legacy series is set in Pennsylvania and spans almost 100 years or several generations in one family. The patriarch is a Scotsman by the name of Silas Ballantyne. It’s a rag to riches story heavy on history and romance. I hope you take time for it!


Picture
Love's Reckoning

On a bitter December day in 1784, Silas Ballantyne arrives at the door of blacksmith Liege Lee in York County, Pennsylvania. Silas is determined to finish his apprenticeship quickly and move west. But because he is a fast worker and a superb craftsman, Liege endeavors to keep him in York by appealing to an old tradition: the apprentice shall marry one of his master's beautiful daughters.

Eden is as gentle and fresh as Elspeth is high-spirited and cunning. But are they truly who they appear to be? In a house laced with secrets, each sister seeks to secure her future. Which one will claim Silas's heart--and will he agree to Liege's arrangement?

In this sweeping family saga, one man's choices in love and work, in friends and enemies, set the stage for generations to come. This is the Ballantyne Legacy.


Picture
Love's Awakening

The path to true love lies somewhere between two feuding families
In the spring of 1822, Ellie Ballantyne leaves finishing school and returns to the family home in Pittsburgh only to find that her parents are away on a long journey and her siblings don't seem to want her to stay. Determined to stand her ground and find her place in the world, Ellie fills her time by opening a day school for young ladies. But when one of her students turns out to be an incorrigible young member of the Turlock family, Ellie knows she must walk a fine line.

Slaveholders and whiskey magnates, the Turlocks are envious of the powerful Ballantynes and suspicious of their abolitionist leanings. As Ellie becomes increasingly entangled with the rival clan--particularly the handsome Jack Turlock--she finds herself falling in love with an impossible future. Will she betray her family and side with the enemy?

Masterful storyteller Laura Frantz continues to unfold the stirring saga of the Ballantyne family in this majestic tale of love and loyalty. This is the Ballantyne Legacy.


The Frontiersman's Daughter
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle | The Book Depository]

Courting Morrow Little
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle | The Book Depository]

The Colonel's Lady
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle The Book Depository]

Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle | The Book Depository]

Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy #2)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle | The Book Depository]

Picture
What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead?

I’m returning to the 18th-century soon and am not sure what the Lord has in store after that…


What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand, and others worldwide?

Oh, how I would love to come to beautiful New Zealand someday! My grandmother visited years ago and loved it and I’d be so happy to follow in her footsteps. I think New Zealand (and Australia) has a heart for Christian fiction that is truly inspiring. I always am very happy to hear from a reader on your side of the world. The Lord is so good at shrinking the miles between readers/ believers!


Do you have any parting words?

Just that I think Soul Inspirationz is one of the most beautiful, inspiring places on the web!  Also, I’d so appreciate prayers for God’s will and blessing on my writing and that every word I pen is for Him to be used for His glory.


Buy Laura's Books at The Book Depository

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

ENTER THE GIVEAWAY

Picture
Be in to win a copy of 
LOVE'S AWAKENING 
by Laura Frantz


One copy to be won

Contest open to entrants worldwide.

Contest runs from 13-26 September NZDT



Please comment about the interview or leave a message for Julie when making a blog post comment - simply commenting about entering the draw or wanting to win the books does not qualify for valid entry into the draw.


Read Previous Featured Author Interviews


Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts