Monday, May 13, 2013

Featured Author Interview: Janice Cantore


Picture
Janice Cantore writes police suspense fiction based on her years as a police officer.

A former Long Beach, California, police officer of twenty-two years, Janice Cantore worked a variety of assignments, including patrol, administration, juvenile investigations, and training. She's always enjoyed writing and published two short articles on faith at work for Cop and Christ and Today's Christian Woman before tackling novels. A few years ago, she retired to a house in the mountains of Southern California, where she lives with three Labrador retrievers, Jake, Maggie, and Abbie.

Janice writes suspense novels designed to keep readers engrossed and leave them inspired.


The following is a May 2013 interview with Janice.






Picture
Tell us a little about yourself. 

Hi! I'm a retired police officer and I live in the mountains of San Bernardino with my three dogs, Abbie, Maggie, and Jake. I write suspense fiction, specifically inspirational suspense, because I want the reader to close the book feeling inspired and uplifted by what they've read. Mystery, suspense, thrillers, those have always been my favorite to read so that is what I like to write.


How did you become a novelist, and did you always want to write?  

I've always wanted to write. When I was a kid I used to write horse stories. When I was in college I took a creative writing course and the teacher hated my style, so I put the dream to write on the shelf.  Later, when working as a police officer, I found myself front and center at the Rodney King riots. I had to write about what I experienced and while none of the stories I wrote about the riots worked out, I've been writing ever since.


What do you think is significant about Christian fiction? 

The hope found in Christian fiction. We have the Good News to share with a lost world and I hope to bring it without being preachy.  Fiction is a great way to bring that Good News to people who may not go to church or ever pick up the Bible.

Picture
How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write? 

I want to leave them inspired and uplifted.  I want the characters to face and overcome real life problems and the reader to find the journey realistic.


What responses to your novels have affected you the most and why? 
I've gotten emails from people who say they are not Christian yet they loved my book. And I've gotten mail from Christians who say they'd been estranged from church but now feel like they'll go back. I love that type of response and praise God for it.


How has being a novelist impacted your relationship with Christ? 

Just pressed home how important it is for me to stay in the word and prayer. I would never want to mislead anyone or misrepresent the message of Good News.


Other than writing great novels, what other goals do you have for your life? 

To walk on the path God has for me and not stray. At this point in my life I want to be certain I'm where the Lord wants, doing what He wants me to do.


What do you like to do in your spare time? 

I love to read, I love to hike with my dogs, and I hope to be able to travel more.

Picture
What can you tell us about your latest novels? 

Avenged was released in April and it is the third book in the Pacific Coast Justice Series. It's the last  installment in the journey of Carly and Nick.

When Officer Carly Edwards finds three young gangbangers shot execution style, she and her husband, Sergeant Nick Anderson, head of the gang unit, fear Las Playas may be on the verge of a gang war. The Las Playas PD is put on high alert as tensions escalate between rival gangs, especially after Carly confiscates weapons from a gang leader and learns they were stolen from a military base along with explosive devices.

But something isn’t adding up, and Carly suspects there might be more going on. As she prepares to testify at a major trial, Carly’s reputation is shredded by a reporter apparently trying to discredit her professionally. Facing pressure on all fronts, Carly must rely on faith and trust God in a deeper way during one of the biggest struggles of her career.

Picture
Critical Pursuit is a re-edit of a book I wrote called The Kevlar Heart, and it will be released in the fall. It's the story of Brinna Caruso, a K-9 cop with a passion to find missing children.

Officer Brinna Caruso has built a reputation at the precinct as the cop to call when a child goes missing. For Brinna, it’s personal because she was once one of them. Brinna and her K-9 search and rescue dog, Hero, will stop at nothing to find a missing child, no matter the stakes.

Detective Jack O’Reilly isn’t ready to return to his homicide duties, after losing his wife to a drunk driver. He’s on the downside of his career, and bent on revenge, when he’s assigned as Brinna’s partner. While on patrol, Jack struggles between his quest for personal justice and his responsibility to those around him, especially his partner.

Skeptical of Jack’s motives, Brinna isn’t sure she can rely on her new partner, whose reckless abandon endangers the safety of those around him. But when a man surfaces with an MO similar to the criminal who abducted Brinna twenty years earlier, Brinna and Jack must cast aside previous judgments and combine efforts to catch the kidnapper, and finally allow Brinna the peace stolen from her as a child.

Accused (Pacific Coast Justice #1)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Abducted (Pacific Coast Justice #2)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Avenged (Pacific Coast Justice #3)
[Purchase:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Critical Pursuit (A Novel)
[Pre-Order:  Amazon.com | Amazon Kindle]

Picture
What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead? 

I'm working on a new series revolving around a team that solves cold cases. It's too new to say much more.


What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand, and others worldwide?
Thanks so much for reading my books. I hope you enjoy them and would love to hear from you. God Bless!


Do you have any parting words?

Thanks for the opportunity to share. If you haven't already, stop by my Facebook page and say hello.
https://www.facebook.com/JaniceCantore



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts